"Mental Toughness is a personality trait, which determines, in large part, how individuals deal with stressors, pressure and challenge…irrespective of the prevailing situation." Douglas Strycharczyk & Prof Peter Clough.
The definition above of Mental Toughness and the 4C's framework highlighted in the image below fits in well with modern management and leadership practices, as well as, contemporary thinking.
It sits neatly alongside the work of such outstanding professionals:
- Carol Dweck (Mindset)
- Martin Seligman (Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life)
- Paul Tough (How Children Succeed)
- Matthew Syed (Bounce – The Myth of Talent and The Power of Practice)
- Daniel Pink (The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us)
- Jim Collins (Good to Great)
- Warren Bennis (Leadership)
If you'd like to understand how we utilise the model in our work and measure individual and organisations Mental Toughness please feel free to contact us.
David Charlton, Mental Toughness Coach and HCPC Registered Sport & Exercise Psychologist
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0) 7734 697769